New Start Dates – Induction: 24 – 26 April 2018, Course Start: 30 April 2018
Induction: 25 – 27 September 2018, Course Start: 1 October 2018
Length – 2 years
Course Director – Andrew Duff MA PGCE MSGD
Location – Flexible
Course Administrator – Liza Rees, firstname.lastname@example.org Tel: 020 7630 9011
Fee – £10,879.00 inc VAT. An Instalment Plan is available, please ask the Course Administrator.
The two-year Online Diploma in Advanced Principles and Practices of Garden Design is a part-time course, aimed at those students who wish to investigate garden design to an advanced standard in the subjects addressed. The course is structured to suit those intending to pursue professional careers.
The course offers the following:
- You study part-time, following an achievable but dynamic programme structure. The Online Diploma in Advanced Principles and Practices of Garden Design is designed around a notional 20 hours of formal learning hours per week.
- You study in your own home or base, where you are encouraged to set up a small garden design studio.
- You can access your bespoke course website at any time and can study online or download and print course materials for offline study.
- You join a group of fellow Inchbald students who are studying the same course programme, so you can benefit from sharing, conferring and presenting your own ideas to fellow students using the online discussion forums and informal chatroom. Many garden designers work with a team, so co-operating with others and exchanging ideas gives valuable experience.
- You receive a high level of individual tutorial support from your tutors. The programme includes frequent assignments, which you complete and submit to your tutor for constructive comments and advice that is tailored to your needs. In addition, you receive informal support from tutors online.
- You practise and develop your garden design skills by carrying out a series of practical design projects – with the support and guidance of your tutors – for assessment.
- You start the course with a three-day in-house induction programme which explains the course and how to work through it and is an opportunity to get to know your tutors and fellow students. The induction is invaluable, giving you a strong basis for succeeding on the course. If you are unable to attend we will provide an induction pack which you can complete at home.
Online Diploma in Advanced Principles and Practices of Garden Design – course contents
This two-year course course is structured around 10 modules each typically comprising a series of sessions that require you to read and study, complete activities, participate in discussions and submit assignments for tutor feedback. Each module leads to a design project.
Online Diploma in Advanced Principles and Practices of Garden Design course: Year 1
At the start of the course you will explore the role of the garden designer and the creative concepts and principles of garden design. You will develop observation and visual communication skills, including sketching and technical drawing. You will build plant and horticultural knowledge and learn to design and present planting plans for gardens. You will consider the use and application of hard landscaping elements. With frequent opportunities to practise you will develop your skills so that by the end of the year you can complete a project to create and communicate a garden design.
Online Diploma in Advanced Principles and Practices of Garden Design course: Year 2
In the second year of the course you will further develop your knowledge, understanding and skills in garden design with assignment and project work. You will learn advanced drawing skills and surveying and how to use hard landscaping elements in gardens. You will broaden your understanding of planting styles, exploring how to design different gardens for conditions such as hot and dry gardens, water and bog gardens, roof and wall gardens and create designs for a sustainable wildlife garden.
Online Diploma in Advanced Principles and Practices of Garden Design – course entry requirements
There are no formal entry requirements, although you will need to show a commitment to the heavy workload and the maturity to contribute to the course group.
As this is an online course you will be communicating with your tutor and fellow students online and via email. You will need basic computer skills, the ability to contribute to online discussions, create illustrated documents, add attachments and so on. If you feel you lack these skills we recommend you develop them before the course start date.
As a participant on the course you are eligible for discounted entry to the Inchbald Garden Design Lecture series and other relevant online courses. You may also be interested in the comprehensive Three-Year Diploma in Garden Design. You can also progress to year 3 of this course on completion of the Online Diploma in Advanced Principles and Practices of Garden Design.
For more information about the Online Diploma in Advanced Principles and Practices of Garden Design course, please contact the Course Administrator, please contact the Course Administrator.