New Start Dates – Induction: 25 – 27 April 2017, Course Start: 01 May 2017
Induction: 26 – 28 September 2017, Course Start: 02 October 2017
Length – 1 year
Location – Flexible
Course Director – Andrew Duff MA
Course Manager – Liza Rees, firstname.lastname@example.org, tel: 020 7630 9011
Fee – £7,015.00 inc VAT. An Instalment Plan is available, please ask the Course Administrator.
The Online Diploma in the Principles of Interior Design and Decoration course is a one-year, part-time programme aimed at students who wish to investigate interior design and start to develop interior design skills at a professional level. The course has a strong practical focus, developing the understanding and knowledge of interior design, as well as associated design skills.
The course offers the following:
- You study part-time, following an achievable but dynamic programme structure. The Online Diploma in the Principles of Interior Design and Decoration is designed around a notional 20 hours of formal learning hours per week.
- You study in your own home or base, where you are encouraged to set up a small interior design studio.
- You can access your bespoke course website at any time and can study online or download and print course materials for offline study.
- You join a group of fellow Inchbald students who are studying the same course programme, so you can benefit from sharing, conferring and presenting your own ideas to fellow students using the online discussion forums and informal chatroom. Many interior designers and decorators work with a team, so co-operating with others and exchanging ideas gives valuable experience.
- You receive a high level of individual tutorial support from your tutors. The Online Diploma in the Principles in Interior Design and Decoration Course includes frequent assignments, which you complete and submit to your tutor for constructive comments and advice that is tailored to your needs. In addition, you receive informal support from tutors online.
- You practise and develop your interior design and decoration skills by carrying out practical design projects – with the support and guidance of your tutors – for assessment.
- At two key points during the Online Diploma in the Principles in Interior Design and Decoration course you will attend in-house short study schools with your fellow students, first for induction at the beginning of the course, and then for intensive skills development. The induction is invaluable: it familiarises you with the course and what you need to do to succeed and it is an opportunity to get to know your tutors and fellow students.
Online Diploma in the Principles of Interior Design and Decoration – course contents
The one-year course is structured around 4 modules. Each typically comprises a series of sessions that require you to read and study, complete activities, engage in online discussions and submit assignments for tutor feedback. Each module leads to a design project.
The Online Diploma in the Principles of Interior Design and Decoration starts by exploring interior design as a creative problem-solving exercise. From there you will develop skills in research, developing concepts, satisfying functional requirements while creating interior spaces that are aesthetically pleasing in terms of spatial proportion and light. You will examine the principles and concepts that underpin design and consider how to manipulate key decorative elements, such as colour, pattern, texture, lighting, applied finishes, proportion, space and form. You will also develop key skills in visual communication – sketching, technical drawing of plans and elevations and three dimensional model making. Through design projects you will practise and apply your skills in design, decoration and visual communication.
Online Diploma in the Principles of Interior Design and Decoration – course entry requirements
There are no formal entry requirements, although you will need to show a commitment to the heavy workload and the maturity to contribute to the course group. If you are unsure about making this commitment you may be interested in our three-month online course.
As this is an online course you will be communicating with your tutor and fellow students online and via email. You will need basic computer skills, the ability to contribute to online discussions, create illustrated documents, add attachments and so on. If you feel you lack these skills we recommend you develop them before the course start date.
You may also be interested in the longer Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration. You can progress to the second year of this course on successful completion of the Online Diploma in the Principles of Interior Design and Decoration.
For more information about the Online Diploma in the Principles of Interior Design and Decoration course, please contact the Course Administrator.