New Start Dates – Induction: 26 – 28 September 2017, Course Start: 02 October 2017
Induction: 24 – 26 April 2018, Course Start: 30 April 2018
Induction: 25 – 27 September 2018, Course Start: 1 October 2018
Length – 2 years
Course Director – Andrew Duff MA
Location – Flexible
Course Manager – Liza Rees email@example.com, Tel: 020 7630 9011
Fee – £10,879.00 inc VAT. An Instalment Plan is available, please ask the Course Administrator.
The Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration course is a two-year, part-time programme for serious career-oriented students who wish to develop interior design skills. It provides a strong practical focus, developing not just understanding and knowledge of interior design and design theory, but also professional design skills.
The course offers the following:
- You study part-time, following an achievable but dynamic programme structure. The Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration is designed around a notional 20 hours of formal learning hours per week.
- You study in your own home or base, where you are encouraged to set up a small interior design studio.
- You can access your bespoke course website at any time and can study online or download and print course materials for offline study.
- You join a group of fellow Inchbald students who are studying the same course programme, so you can benefit from sharing, conferring and presenting your own ideas to fellow students using the online discussion forums and informal chatroom. Many interior designers and decorators work with a team, so co-operating with others and exchanging ideas gives valuable experience.
- You receive a high level of individual tutorial support from your tutors. The Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration course includes frequent assignments, which you complete and submit to your tutor for constructive comments and advice that is tailored to your needs. In addition, you receive informal support from tutors online.
- You practise and develop your interior design and decoration skills by carrying out a series of practical design projects – with the support and guidance of your tutors – for assessment.
- At three key points during the Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration course you attend in-house short study schools with your fellow students, first for induction at the beginning of the course, and then for intensive skills development. The induction is invaluable: it familiarises you with the course and what you need to do to succeed and it is an opportunity to get to know your tutors and fellow students.
Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration – course contents
The two-year course is structured around 7 modules. Each typically comprises a series of sessions that require you to read and study, complete activities, engage in online discussions and submit assignments for tutor feedback. Each module leads to a design project.
Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration Course: Year 1
This first year is the same as the Diploma in Principles of Interior Design and Decoration course. You will start by examining interior design as a creative problem-solving exercise. From there you will develop skills in research, developing concepts, satisfying functional requirements while creating interior spaces that are aesthetically pleasing in terms of spatial proportion and light. You will develop skills in observation, sketching, freehand drawing and technical drawing and three-dimensional model making. You will consider the decorative elements, such as colour, pattern, texture, lighting, applied finishes, space, proportion and form.
Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration Course: Year 2
In Year 2 of the course you take your study to a deeper level with 3 modules. By studying the history of interior design, furniture history, the use of fabrics and lighting design, you will enhance your understanding of the decorative elements. You will learn the practicalities of achieving your designs, developing the practical knowledge and skills required in building construction, services, materials and staircase design. Your design work will be increasingly challenging and cover all aspects of a finalised design scheme, and you will develop communication and drawing skills to a professional level.
Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration – course entry requirements
There are no formal entry requirements, although you will need to show a commitment to the heavy workload and the maturity to contribute to the course group. If you are uncertain about making this commitment you may be interested in the shorter Online Diploma in the Principles of Interior Design and Decoration course.
As this is an online course you will be communicating with your tutor and fellow students online and via email. You will need basic computer skills, the ability to contribute to online discussions, create illustrated documents, add attachments and so on. If you feel you lack these skills we recommend you develop them before the course start date.
You may also be interested in the comprehensive Online Diploma in Architectural Interior Design. You can progress to the third year of this course on completion of the Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration,
For more information about the Online Diploma in the Practice of Interior Design and Decoration course, please contact the Course Administrator.