Two academic years (full time)
8:1 teaching ratio
Course start date:
The BA (Hons) Garden Design develops your knowledge and skills in the creative and technical aspects of garden design, preparing you to enter the profession.
The course teaches you to approach design through survey and analysis, exploring conceptual development and spatial perception. You undertake two major projects in your final year along with a written reflective report exploring the design development from concept to realisation that details the delivery of a fully realised spatial and decorative solution.
The course comprises 10 modules: Design, Research, Skills for Design, Initial Design, Design Process, Development and Communication, Professional Practice, and Landscaping.
The course covers planting, lighting, irrigation, swimming pool design, ecology and sustainability, soils and geology, grasses, pests and diseases, during which time you undertake site visits supported by lectures alongside a varied range of projects covering both residential and public spaces.
You will experiment, develop and hone ypur communication skills, learning orthographic projection alongside axonometric and perspective drawing as well as more traditional techniques such as collage, montage, model making and colour rendering. As you progress you are challenged with projects that become more rigorous and detailed, requiring deeper research into the context and historical background of sites. Landscaping focuses on the three-dimensional aspects of planting design, including the sensory exploration of the garden and the subsequent psychological aspects of spatial design with plants. The course concludes by preparing you for professional practice and the rigours of dealing with clients.
Who is it aimed at?
Those wishing to embark on a career in garden design who are seeking a professionally validated qualification.
Key info & fees
Full time: On campus
- BA (Hons) Garden Design is a two year, full time course on campus with an exit point after the first year (level 5), which provides a Higher Education Diploma, also validated by Wrexham University.
- Applicants are required to interview prior to receiving an offer for this course.
- Academic exemptions may be granted following submission of a Recognition of Learning or Recognition of Prior Experiential Learning, in accordance with the university general regulations and/or relevant professional experience.
- Students must be aged 18 or over with ‘A’ levels / sufficient UCAS points or equivalent. A good command of written and spoken English and basic computer skills are required.
- Those wishing to study on a Visa may need to take an approved English Language Test.
- Fees: Two-year, BA (Hons) £45,300 (inc VAT).
- Fees: One-year, of Diploma Higher Education £30,400 (inc VAT).
Talk to us
Arrange an informal chat to discuss how this course fits with your goals and start your journey with Inchbald.
More Garden Design courses
Full Time (12 Months)|
Part Time (12 Months)|
Online (1, 2 or 3 years)
Full Time (1 academic year + 1 trimester)
Part time (13 weeks)
Talk to us about if this course is right for you